Saturday, July 12, 2014

Windows 7 --- Copy System Partition to a SSD (on a laptop )

My experience on adding a SSD to an old laptop and copying Windows System Partition

Hardware

  • Existing
    • Acer 5745 with 8 Gb RAM /  DVD  /  500 Gb HDD
  • Upgrade
    • Bought a caddy in Ebay

      Universal 12mm Laptop Optical Bay Hard Disk SATA to SATA 12.7mm HDD Caddy costing INR 750
    • This product is available from seller sitetechnologies.in on ebay.in
    • Bought a SSD 128 Gb from flipkart @ INR 4240


My Experience

  • Backup
    • Used Macrium Reflect to take an image of my C drive (System partition) which contained my Windows 7 OS on an external drive
      • Choose Disk Image and then select the desired System partition
      • Create the Image on the external Media
    • Also created the Windows Recovery Media on a USB device
      • I used a SD Card of 4 gb
      • Choose Other Tasks -> Create Rescue Media -> windows PE
  • Fixing the SSD
    • Opened my laptop (rear 8 screws) and removed my HDD and fixed the SSD in it's place.
  • Restore 
    • Connect the external HDD  containing the System Image
    • Connect the Windows PE media ( In case my SD Card)
    • Started my laptop and choose the F2 / F12 key to start boot from my SD Card (USB)
    • Windows PE rescue will start.
    • Choose the Restore Image option 
    • Choose the Source as  the Image from the external Drive
    • Choose Target as the SSD Drive
    • Complete the Restore and shutdown
    • Start the Laptop and boot from Windows PE Media again
    • Hit Esc to stop the Windows PE from going to the Restore Image menu
    • Use Fix Windows Boot Problems on the SSD Drive
    • Now it will offer to correct the SSD drive
      • Write the MBR and Boot info
    • You are done
    • Reboot and check that the system partition successfully boots
  • Fixing the Hard Drive
    • Now remove the DVD drive 
    • Fix the HDD in the Caddy and push it back
    • Close Laptop
    • Restart the system

Why did I have to shift the Hdd to the Caddy

  • My laptop BIOS cannot identify the HDD connected on the DVD port
  • Of course you can workaround this by using Windows Restore and create a Boot table which would show both partitions allowing you to boot from either

No comments:

Post a Comment